Actually, we’re screaming for Ice Cream Sandwiches! With the dog days of summer just around the corner, enjoy one of these cool and refreshing ice cream treats and relive your childhood in a grown up way.
Crispy Creamy Ice Cream Sandwiches
(courtesy of Family Fun Magazine)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 bag of marshmallows (10 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups crisped rice cereal
- ½ cup decorating sprinkles or mini candies
- 1 quart ice cream or frozen yogurt
- Coat a 9- by 13-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set the pan aside. Coat a medium saucepan with nonstick cooking spray and melt the butter and marshmallows in it over medium-low heat, stirring continuously. Stir in the vanilla extract. Add the cereal.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir the mixture until it forms a large ball. Add the sprinkles or candies, if desired. Spoon and press the mixture into the 9- by 13-inch pan. Chill the pan for 10 minutes. Then cut the crisped rice treats into twelve 2-inch squares.
- Peel the container away from the ice cream. Working on a waxed-paper covered surface, slice the ice cream into six 2- by 2- by 1-inch blocks with a warm knife (a parent’s job). Sandwich each one between 2 crispy squares and lightly press the layers together. Makes 6 sandwiches.
Red, White and Blue Ice Cream Sandwiches
(courtesy of Café Zupas)
Makes 12 ice cream sandwiches
For the Cookie:
- 1 box Betty Crocker Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
For the Ice Cream:
- 1 1.5-qt. container vanilla ice cream
- 1 ½ cups fresh blueberries
- 1 ½ cups chopped strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a 12×18-inch baking sheet or line with parchment paper.
- Combine the cake mix, butter, vanilla and eggs until completely combined. (Batter will be thick.) Spread out on the prepared baking sheet. You may need to use greased hands to spread evenly. Bake in the preheated oven for 12 minutes or until set but still soft. Let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare the ice cream:
- Prepare a 9×12 inch baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper or waxed paper.
- Put the ice cream in a large bowl and let soften slightly. Mix in the blueberries and strawberries. Spread the ice cream on the prepared baking sheet. Return to the freezer to let re-harden.
- Once the cookie is cooled, cut it into 24 3×3-inch squares. Remove the ice cream from the freezer and cut into 12 3×3-inch squares.
- Prepare the sandwiches by layering a square of ice cream in between 2 cookies. Serve immediately.
Almond Florentine and Black Raspberry Chip Ice Cream Sandwiches
(courtesy of BonAppetit.com)
- ¼ cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon all purpose flour
- ¾ cup sliced almonds
- 1 pint black raspberry chip ice cream or other raspberry-flavored ice cream
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Mix in sugar, cream, and flour, then almonds. Stir until batter thickens, bubbles at edges, and leaves dry path when spoon is drawn through, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Drop 1 rounded teaspoonful batter for each cookie (about 24 total) onto prepared sheets, spacing mounds 2 to 3 inches apart.
- Bake cookies, 1 sheet at a time, until golden brown, turning sheet after 8 minutes, about 16 minutes total. Cool cookies completely on sheets. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.
- Soften ice cream slightly in microwave at 10-second intervals on very low setting. Place 6 cookies, flat side up, on work surface. Mound 1/4 cup ice cream onto each; flatten gently with spatula. Top with another cookie, flat side down, and press very gently to adhere. Place sandwiches on baking sheet, cover with foil, and freeze at least 2 hours and up to 2 days.
Chocolate Covered Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches
(courtesy of goodlifeeats.com)
For the Brownies:
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa, plus more for pan
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup flour
- pinch of kosher salt
For the Ice Cream Sandwiches:
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
- 2 pounds chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a quarter sheet pan (a small jelly roll pan), or a 13x9inch pan. Place a sheet of parchment paper in the bottom, spread with butter, and dust with cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter, sugar, and 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder. When the mixture is creamy, and all lumps are gone, add in eggs, one at a time, incorporating well after each addition. Add in vanilla.
- With the mixer on low, add in flour and salt. Mix until just combined. Spread into prepared pan and bake until shiny on the top, 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven, and allow to cool completely.
- Remove brownie from the pan, and cut in half. Spread ice cream on one half, and top with the other half. Freeze for 2-4 hours, until firm.
- Cut the large ice cream sandwich into smaller sandwiches. Insert wooden popsicle sticks, and freeze for another hour.
- Melt the chocolate chips with the oil in the microwave in 30 second intervals, until chocolate is smooth. Dip each ice cream sandwich in the chocolate, and let set on a sheet of parchment paper. Wrap in parchment paper and freeze until ready to serve.
Peppermint-Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches
(courtesy of MyRecipes.com)
- 1 pint vanilla low-fat, no-sugar-added ice cream, softened
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 20 chocolate wafers
- 10 hard peppermint candies, crushed (about 1/4 cup)
- Stir together ice cream and peppermint extract in a large bowl. Cover and freeze 30 minutes.
- Spread about 2 tablespoons ice cream mixture onto 1 chocolate wafer; top with another wafer. Place filled sandwich on a jelly roll pan lined with wax paper. Repeat procedure with remaining ice cream mixture and cookies. Cover and freeze 30 minutes. Roll edges in crushed peppermint candies; freeze 3 hours or until firm. Wrap each sandwich in heavy-duty plastic wrap, and place in a heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag, if desired, for longer storage.
Mini Ice Cream Sandwiches
(courtesy of EatingWell)
- 4 small vanilla-snap cookies
- 2 tablespoons fruit sorbet, or frozen yogurt
- Top 2 cookies with 1 tablespoon sorbet (or frozen yogurt).
- Top with 2 more cookies. Freeze sandwiches for at least 30 minutes to firm up.
Make Ahead Tip: Wrap and freeze for up to 1 week.
Peanut Butter Ice Cream Sandwiches
(courtesy of All You)
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups chocolate or strawberry ice cream, or a combination, softened
- 1. Preheat oven to 375ºF. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment.
- 2. Sift flour, baking soda and salt together. Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and sugar together until light, about 2 minutes. Add egg; mix well. Beat in peanut butter and vanilla. Beat flour mixture into butter mixture.
- 3. Roll dough into 1 1/2-inch balls; place 2 inches apart on sheets. Flatten with a fork in a crisscross design. Bake until golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool on sheets for 5 minutes; transfer to a rack to cool.
- 4. Place 1 scoop of ice cream on a cookie, top with another cookie and carefully press down. Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze. Repeat with remaining cookies and ice cream. Freeze for 45 minutes; serve.
Frozen Banana Ice Cream Sandwiches
(courtesy of Giada De Laurentis – Food Network)
- 450g chocolate chip cookie dough (recommended: Nestle Toll House)
- 340g milk chocolate chips
- 1 tsp peanut or vegetable oil
- 2 (45g) chocolate-toffee bars, chopped into1-cm pieces (recommended: Skor)
- 2 medium bananas, peeled and sliced into 1cm (¼- in) rounds
- 450ml vanilla or banana ice cream, softened
- Place an oven rack in the centre of the oven. Preheat the oven to 160 to 170C.
- Form the cookie dough into 12 equal-sized balls and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 16 to 18 minutes until lightly browned around the edges. Cool for 10 minutes. Transfer the biscuits to a wire rack to cool completely, about 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, toss together the chocolate chips and oil. Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water and stir until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Spread the melted chocolate on top of 6 of the cooled cookies. Place on a greaseproof paper-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle the chocolate-toffee candy pieces on top of the melted chocolate. Place the remaining biscuits, flat-side-up, on the same baking sheet. Arrange the banana slices in a single layer on the flat side of the remaining biscuits. Freeze all the biscuits for 45 to 60 minutes until the chocolate has set and the banana slices are frozen.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop about 80ml softened ice cream on top of the frozen bananas. Place a chocolate covered biscuit on top and gently press to form a sandwich. Repeat with the remaining ice cream and biscuits.
- Freeze for 3 to 4 hours until firm and serve.
Pretzel Nutella Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe
(courtesy of What’s For Dinner)
- 24 Snyders Butter Snaps Pretzels
- 1/3 cup Nutella spread
- 1/3 cup Vanilla Ice Cream
- 3 Tbls. finely crushed hazelnuts
- Place wax paper on a small plate or pan. Line the pan with half of the pretzels.
- Smear Nutella spread on each of the pretzels. Top with ice cream and place a pretzel on top.
- Freeze for about half an hour, or until they’re solid. Smear a little Nutella on one end of each sandwich and dip in crushed hazelnuts. Return to the freezer to harden or eat right away.
- For longer-term storage place in a Ziplock bag in the freezer.
Snickerdoodle Ice Cream Sandwiches
(courtesy of Better Homes & Gardens)
- 1 16 ½ ounce roll refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1 ¾ quart container vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut, toasted
- 2 cups cornflakes, coarsely crushed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Slice cookie dough 1/4 inch thick; arrange slices 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. In small bowl combine sugar and cinnamon. Generously sprinkle over dough slices. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet. Remove cookies and cool completely on wire racks.
- Spoon ice cream into large bowl. Let stand 10 minutes to soften slightly. Stir in coconut. Using an ice cream scoop, place some ice cream mixture onto flat sides of half of the cookies. Top with remaining cookies and press together gently. Place cornflakes in shallow dish; roll edges of sandwiches in cornflakes to coat ice cream. Immediately wrap each sandwich in plastic wrap and freeze 2 hours or until firm, or up to 1 month. Let stand 10 minutes at room temperature before serving to soften slightly. Makes about 14 sandwiches.
Banana Split Ice Cream Sandwiches
(courtesy of MyRecipes.com)
- 7 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons sifted all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups vanilla low-fat ice cream, softened
- ¾ cup ripe mashed banana (about 1 1/2 medium bananas)
- 6 tablespoons coarsely chopped dry-roasted peanuts, divided
- 6 tablespoons frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
- 6 tablespoons chocolate syrup
- 6 maraschino cherries, drained
- To prepare cookies, combine sugar and flour, stirring with a whisk. Add vanilla and egg, and beat with a mixer at medium speed 2 minutes. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Draw 6 (3-inch) circles on paper. Turn paper over, and secure with masking tape. Spoon about 1 tablespoon batter into center of each drawn circle; spread batter to outside edge of each circle. Bake at 350° for 6 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Carefully remove cookies from paper, and cool completely on wire racks. Repeat procedure with the remaining batter, reusing the parchment paper.
- To prepare the filling, combine the ice cream, banana, and 1/4 cup peanuts, stirring well.
- Place 1 cookie on each of 6 plates. Carefully spread about 1/3 cup ice cream mixture over flat side of each cookie. Top with remaining cookies, flat sides down, pressing gently. Top each sandwich with 1 tablespoon whipped topping, 1 tablespoon chocolate syrup, 1 teaspoon peanuts, and 1 cherry. Serve immediately.